Thursday, November 22, 2012

SO...CONGRATULATIONS?

We had a guest speaker this morning in my 8:30am class. As he shuffled his notes around and got his powerpoint presentation set up, my friend Lauren mentioned that it was Thanksgiving. "It's a holiday for us," she said, "that's probably why people are running late." The guest looked up and said in all seriousness "Oh right. I know about that. So what do I say? Congratulations?" He meant well and we all smiled and tried to hide our laughter. Being abroad for such a quintessential American holiday just isn't the same.

(A pastry feast from my Renewable Energy professor. Ironically he's from Mexico)

Not being in the States definitely makes the day a lot less exciting. I'll probably end up having a really simple and boring dinner because I'm not exactly the best chef (although I did buy sweet potatoes to make in to fries so I'll get at least a taste of a traditional dish). Despite the minimal celebration, I figured I could get in the mood by making a list of all the American things that I've discovered I'm thankful for since going abroad. It's all in the little things, right?
Reese peanut butter cups; PAM non-stick cooking spray; Fahrenheit measurements; any meal that is not pasta, grilled cheese or an omelette; chocolate chips; milk chocolate; fabric softener; bedding that includes more than a flat sheet, comforter and one pillow; hand-sliced deli meat; lunch meat that is not bologna; normal-sized shrimp; being able to read food labels; ZIPLOC BAGS; stick deodorant; closet space; wearing yoga pants in public without judgement; sunshine; not having to order everything specifically without mayo; big dogs; Target; department stores; cable TV; graham crackers and s'mores; one dollar bills; reasonably priced peanut butter.
There are also plenty of Danish things I'm thankful for. If I can't bring a turkey with cranberries and stuffing to the culture, I can at least spread the attitude of gratitude while I'm here.
Walking past Tivoli everyday; PASTRIES; super reliable public transportation; being able to celebrate Christmas starting November 1st without being over eager; really cute guys at the gym; eyeing really cute guys at the gym; nifty hot chocolate machines; 7Elevens; super sleek chairs; Danish design in general; Danish babies bundled up in snowsuits; Christmas Beer; cheap avocados; really dense rye bread; candles; Sample Sunday at the Glass Market; never having to calculate the tax when buying anything; using famous towers as directional landmarks; over-sized scarves; black always being an acceptable outfit choice; hyggeligt (aka feeling warm, safe, and cozy).
Happy Thanksgiving from Denmark! Congratulations on being so thankful.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time go to see at here and i am actually impressed to read all at alone place.


    my webpage :: visit web site
    my web site :: I recommend you read this

    ReplyDelete